Students & Parents

History of Byrd School

The Richard E. Byrd Elementary School was established in 1915 as School #2, consisting of four rooms for up to 72 students.

In 1931, it was rebuilt to accommodate increasing enrollment, and it was at this time that its name was officially changed to the Richard E. Byrd Elementary School in honor of the famous explorer of the North and South poles.

It was decided at that time that the school colors would be gold for the sun and white for the ice at the Pole. The penguin who inhabits these icy regions became the school mascot.

The next and last addition to the school was completed in 1958. Since then there have been numerous improvements throughout the school, both within the building and on the surrounding grounds. The Byrd School community includes students, staff, parent volunteers, and an active and supportive Home and School Association

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.